Carbon offsetting is rapidly rising in importance. The world’s carbon emissions are increasing at an alarming rate and offsetting your carbon emissions is a powerful mechanism to help in the battle against climate change and global warming.
Benefits of offsetting are not only carbon emission reduction, but depending upon the offset project type, they can bring benefits to the wider environment, as well as local, social and biodiversity benefits.
What is a Carbon Offset?
- Reforestation, e.g. planting new trees
- Avoided deforestation, REDD (Reducing Emissions from Deforestation and Forest Degradation)
- Enhancement and sustainable management of forestry, REDD+
- Renewables, such as solar PV and wind turbines
- Capture of landfill gas or methane
- Clean cookstove projects
- Clean water access
- And more
Each carbon credit is equivalent to a carbon reduction of 1 tonne of CO2.
Read more: Carbon offsetting